Bali, Sakala Resort, Benoa

Dec 14th we said farewell to Griffin again, leaving him in capable friendly company, and set off for the airport at lunch time to board our flight to Sydney. Our plane ran late and we arrived with 15minutes to get from our domestic connection through international security and board our flight to Denpasar…and luckily that plane was also running 20minutes late!


We arrived safe and caught a cab to the Sakala Resort, which took about an hour and arrived to our room just after 11pm. A long day.

After breakfast on Friday morning we went for a swim, explored the empty resort and wandered down the street. Isabella and I indulged in mani-pedis and nail polish, and Kieran had a massage, for $40 total we were stoked. We hadsome delishous spring rolls and Balinese cooked duck and pork dishes for a late lunch/early dinner and headed back to The pool to escape the late afternoon 30deg heat. Yes, we know, it’s not that hot, but we just came from California winter.



From Saturday to Tuesday, Cameron, Mary Anne, Madi and Mica joined us for a Bali weekend, staying 500 metres down the road at the Novotel.

Our resort was below 10% occupancy…so the Sakala has been a frustrating place to stay with most staff on unpaid leave. The breakfast restaurant was closed so we had to cross the street to eat where the usually only do lunch and dinner and for the first four days was limited to four options of rice dishes and a continental buffet of bread, two cereals, two fruits, two juices, Bircher muesli and salad. None of the pool jacuzzis work and there’s no one to fix them, we had luke warm water and needed someone to fix it, the the power kept turning off on our floor for a day for no reason, and although they have are with full menus everywhere including happy hour and daily specials throughout, none were available, even pizzas, nor tea and coffee… unless we cross the busy street to the restaurant. Very disappointing for a 5-star resort. But… we spent a lot of time at the Novotel where they had everything available, and got to know a few locals.

We did the usual tourist things like get massages, eat out, go to the markets, Cameron convinced us to go look at the volcano and we had saw the beautiful scenery, lots of rice fields, but the volcano was in rain clouds so we didn’t see it really.

After complaining to the hotel, we found new additions to the menu which were safe for Isabella and what you would expect in any 5-star buffet: of bacon, eggs, sausages…etc. yummy!

We are going to do some more relaxing for two days and then on Friday we will fly to Jakarta for Christmas, and we wish everyone the best Christmas and good company.

Talk to you soon!


Author: Oddsie

From Melbourne, Australia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s